Tuesday, October 14, 2008

2+2=5

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/x-equals-why/2008/10/high_school_calculus.html
It's good to see that someone finally acknowledged the fact that high school is just too hard.

"The University of Maryland's chancellor WIlliam E. Kirwan echoed these concerns in a recent interview. Students are coming to college with more and more impressive looking transcripts, he said, "but huge gaps in fundamental knowledge of mathematics." As a result, the failure rate in college-level math classes is "shockingly high," he said."

I know that half the things I do in class, I will never remember. Why is the focus on not understanding the basics, but getting to advanced calculus ASAP?

Teachers don't realize.

1 comment:

Dani Villa said...

I both agree and disagree. I think that yes, we should spend more time on learning the fundamentals of each subject. If you can't understand the basics, then nothing else will make sense. But at the same time, while its important to make sure everyone is caught up on the rudiments, isn't it just as important to keep moving on, so actual learning can take place? If we stay on the same topic for too long, then no progression can happen. Besides that, good find! It was well written and interesting.